handbell director job description
MONUMENTAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
450 Dinwiddie Street, Portsmouth, Virginia
POSITION: Director of Handbell Ministries
SUPERVISED BY: Director of Music
1.The Director of Handbell Music is responsible for recruiting, training, selecting repertoire and directing the Monumental Ringers at worship services and special programs of the church, dependent upon availability of choir members, and collaborating with the Director of Music on all repertoire and dates for ringing, typically Sept-May.
2. The Director of Handbell Music is responsible for recruiting, training, selecting repertoire and directing the beginning handbell ensemble, Genesis Ringers, for possibly sharing their music at worship services and special programs of the church, dependent upon availability of choir members, and collaborating with the Director of Music on all repertoire and dates for ringing.
1. Possess exceptional knowledge of handbell and chime techniques.
2. Understand the basic mechanical construction and elements for basic repairs/adjustments.
3. Be familiar with handbell literature and resources.
4. Have basic conducting knowledge.
5. Have a music degree, with evidence of continuing education in handbells.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Work towards the goal of having bells be a caring, meaningful, and fulfilling ministry of Monumental United Methodist Church by creating an effective learning situation using a variety of teaching methods to encourage ringers to share and develop their gifts for the glory of God.
2. Plan, purchase and organize the handbell music for the ringing year in conjunction with the Director of Music.
3. Plan effective rehearsals.
4. Direct the handbell choirs.
5. Attend continuing educational events.
6. Recruit members for the handbell ministry.
7. Train members of the handbell ministry in handbell ringing/techniques/musicality.
8. Monumental Ringers participate in church services once monthly from September to May.
9. Genesis Ringers participate in church services / activities / local care facilities when able.
10. Schedule and end-of-year concert, depending on availability of ringers.
11. Communicate with the Director of Music any concerns regarding job requirements, budget-planning, performances, or compensation,
12. Submit budget requests annually to the Director of Music for music, parts, repairs, equipment, or any expenses related to the handbell ministry.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE CHURCH:
1. Maintain a membership in The Handbell Musicians of America.
2. Provide continuing education funds for the handbell director and handbell ministry.
3. Provide detailed quarterly expenditure/income data for the music fund and handbell fund.
4. Provide replacement insurance and copies of the policy for the handbells/chimes/equipment/music.
5. Support this ministry through prayer and encourage all who participate to be focused on praising God through wonderful music!
HOURS: This is a part-time professional salaried position. Salary: Up to $8400 per year, depending on education and experience